Congratulations on your pregnancy! As you embark on this new journey, it is important to focus on nutrition for a healthy pregnancy. Eating well will help ensure that your baby develops and grows properly. There are many different opinions out there about what pregnant women should and shouldn’t eat, but we will break it down for you in a way that is easy to understand. Keep reading for information about the best foods to eat during pregnancy, as well as some tips on how to make healthy eating easier.
Important nutrients for a healthy pregnancy
Many different nutrients are important for a healthy pregnancy, but we will focus on four of the most important ones:
By downloading the ChiroWebMD mobile app you can better control your patient portal.
Folic Acid - is important for the development of the neural tube in your baby’s brain and spine. It is recommended that all women of childbearing age take a daily supplement of 400 micrograms of folic acid, and pregnant women should take a higher dose of 600 micrograms. Good food sources of folic acid include leafy green vegetables, legumes, nuts, and fortified foods such as bread and cereal.
- Iron - is necessary for the production of hemoglobin in your blood, which carries oxygen to your cells. During pregnancy, your blood volume increases, so you need more iron than usual. Pregnant women should aim for 27 milligrams of iron per day. Good food sources of iron include meat, poultry, fish, legumes, leafy green vegetables, and fortified foods.
- Calcium - is essential for the development of your baby’s bones and teeth. Pregnant women should aim for 1000 milligrams of calcium per day. Good food sources of calcium include milk, yogurt, cheese, leafy green vegetables, and fortified foods such as orange juice.
- Omega-three fatty acids - are important for the development of your baby’s brain and eyes. Pregnant women should aim for 200-300 milligrams of omega-three fatty acids per day. Good food sources of omega-three fatty acids include fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna, as well as flaxseed and canola oils.
Nutrition Tips for a healthy pregnancy
Now that you know which nutrients are most important for a healthy pregnancy, you may be wondering how to get them into your diet. Here are some tips:
- Plan ahead. It can be difficult to eat well when you’re feeling nauseous or tired. Planning and having quick and easy snacks and meals on hand can help you make healthy choices when you’re not feeling your best.
- Listen to your body. Pregnancy is a time when your body will let you know what it needs. If you’re craving a particular food, there’s a good chance that your body needs more of the nutrients that it contains.
- Don’t skip meals. It’s important to eat regularly throughout the day to keep your energy levels up and prevent overeating later on.
- Make wise choices when eating out. When dining out, look for options that are grilled, baked, or steamed rather than fried. Choose lean protein sources such as chicken or fish, and make sure to get plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Eating well during pregnancy is important for the health of you and your baby. By following these tips, you can make healthy eating easier and ensure that you are getting the nutrients you need. Congratulations on taking this important step for a healthy pregnancy!
Prenatal nutrition is vital for the health of your baby. By following the tips above, you can help ensure a healthy pregnancy for you and your child. Congratulations on taking this important step! If you have any questions or concerns about prenatal nutrition, please speak to your doctor or a registered dietitian.
The Webster technique is a centuries-old chiropractic practice that has been specifically trained to release tension in pregnant women's sacral (back) bones and round ligaments. These are the two most important structures involved with keeping your uterus safe during pregnancy as they help hold it into place! With rapid changes happening inside us, these same connective tissues will become strained - but thanks to having access to one of many techniques offered by our certified doctors here at Dallas Synergy Chiropractic
Chiropractic care has so many benefits, including relief from headaches and back pain. We provide chiropractor services during pregnancy to help my patients have healthier pregnancies with their babies - this improves sleep patterns for both mommy-to-be as well as daddy! Chiropractors also offer exercise advice that leads them towards a better postpartum recovery period too.
Women's health is a cornerstone and we are here to serve you, the woman who wants more out of life. We are so excited to be here with you today! Our hearts go out to all the women. For many - if not all our bodies are amazing organisms capable of doing some pretty extraordinary things when given care and nutrition.
Dr. Brittney is Webster technique certified and is always here for you. If you have questions or you think we can help you can make an appointment with us today and we will try to make your life healthier, easier and happier.